History

For over 100 years, the Delaware County District Library has been dedicated to  serving the interests and changing needs of our customers through a variety of resources, materials, programs, and services. 

1890
First public library in Delaware, Ohio grows from a women’s reading club.
1897
Women’s club begins to expand library service to the community.
1904
Construction of new building at 101 North Sandusky Street begins with gift of $25,000 by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
1951
The Library officially becomes the Delaware County District Library system
1984
The Library moves to current Winter Street location
1990
$4.5 million bond issue passed by Delaware voters to expand the Delaware Branch and construct Powell and Ostrander Branch libraries. 
1991
Ostrander Branch Library opens to the public.  
1992
Renovated Delaware Main Library opens to the public.
1993
Powell Branch Library opens to the public.
2004 Delaware Branch expands public space on the first floor and relocates administrative offices to the second floor. 
2009 Delaware County voters pass a levy that allows for extending hours at all of its branches, increasing materials in collection, improving technology, and building a new 33,000 square foot branch in Orange Township.
2011 Orange Branch Library opens to the public.